Businesses that have multiple operations in different countries would often find themselves in need of a QuickBooks edition conversion, specifically converting QuickBooks Canada to US Edition or UK or US/Canada to UK.
If the company has files set up in a version of QuickBooks, it would be incompatible with the software in another division specifically because of features that are specific to that region, for example currency and taxes that are unique to that version of the software.
An example of this is the Canadian and UK versions of QuickBooks that are configured to use VAT. This feature is configured as Sales Tax for the US version. These unique features make it impossible for the US version of QuickBooks to read a file from the Canadian version.
QuickBooks products go by the same name in both the U.S. and Canada, Canadian businesses, however, find that they are not getting the exact same thing as their American counterparts. QuickBooks, does, however, offer a large suite of features, most of which carry over to QuickBooks Canada. QuickBooks USA offers a series of advanced reporting add-ons, but they have not become available for QuickBooks Canada users.
Converting the nationality of QuickBooks from one to another is now possible with professional services like E-Tech that work to bring both versions into sync. An evaluation is first necessary to assess both versions of QuickBooks in order to determine the cost and time required for the conversion.
What cannot be converted?
- Payroll checks are transferred as regular checks and won’t appear in payroll reports or W2 calculations. This is because QuickBooks does not allow payroll checks to be transferred from one file to another. Also time activities are not merged.
- Bank Reconciliations cannot be transferred because QuickBooks does not support the transfer of Bank Reconciliations. You will need to do a single reconciliation for each bank account after the merge.
- Data files with negative inventory and assembly builds do not merge correctly because there is insufficient quantity on hand to build the assemblies and they transfer over as pending builds. If assembly items are used it may not be possible to transfer the data at all.
- QuickBooks does not calculate P&L COGS amounts and B/S inventory amounts correctly with files with negative inventory. Cogs and inventory values will NOT match the original data in files with negative inventory.
- Files with multi-currency will likely have exchange rate as well as gain/loss differences.
- Transfers must be converted to journal entries in files that have multi-currency.
- Data files with sales tax items and sales tax groups that were modified after their initial use may not be transferred correctly since QuickBooks does not store historical rate changes.
- Fields not available in the international version of the QuickBooks data file you are converting to, are not converted.
- Data files with group items that were modified after their initial use may not be transferred correctly since QuickBooks does not store historical group modification data.
- Templates cannot be transferred as QuickBooks does not support the transfer of templates.
- Attachments are not transferred because QuickBooks does not support the transfer of attachments.
- Customer Notes and To-Do lists are NOT transferred.
- Memorized Transaction definitions are not transferred, and will need to be memorized again.
- Memorized Reports are not transferred, and will need to be memorized again.
- Budgets/Forecasts are not transferred, and will need to be entered again.
- Users are not transferred and will need to be entered again.
To learn more about this service, visit https://quickbooksrecovery.co.uk/quickbooks-data-conversions/quickbooks-us-to-uk-conversion/