In order to meet the complexity requirements, QuickBooks desktop requires a password for each data file. The password requires a certain strength such as having at least 7 characters, including 1 uppercase letter and a number. QuickBooks has also recommended the need to change your password every 90 days. You will automatically be prompted to change your password when the expiration date is near.
Users are required to choose a complex password for files containing sensitive data such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, employers’ identification numbers, etc., and you can only change the password if you are the administrator. If you come across a login screen that asks for ‘Password’ but does not ask for the user-name, then you are at the ‘Administrator’s log-in screen.’
The need to change passwords frequently, and select complex combinations, has led to a rise in forgotten passwords.
Below are a set of steps to reset your QuickBooks password:
- Download the “Automated Password Tool for QuickBooks”
- Choose your QuickBooks Version
- Enter the QuickBooks license number and the business info while you are registering QuickBooks, then choose Next
- Agree and accept the License agreement. If you are notified that the details provided do not match, you would then need to log into your Intuit account at https://camps.intuit.com to verify that the information is correct:
– authorized user name, and email address
– primary mailing address, and especially the Zip code
– License number
– Phone number
- RUN the ‘Automated Password Reset Tool’
- Enter the token number that you receive via email
- From the QB Desktop Products drop-down, choose the same QuickBooks version
- Choose ‘Browse for company file’ option, and select the company file you require to set a password
- Enter the ‘New Password,’ and select confirm password
- Select ‘Reset Password’
If you run into problems using the QuickBooks password reset tool, E-Tech’s Password Recovery Service may just be the answer. The service will recover/reset your password from all versions of QuickBooks Data files. In case of a forgotten Administrator password, the service can recover or reset the password from the data file so you can open the file as the Administrator. This service works with all versions of QuickBooks including QuickBooks for Mac, QuickBooks Enterprise, Pro, and Premier.
For more information, visit: https://e-tech.ca/Quickbooks-Password-Recovery.aspx